Raleigh, NC Felony Lawyer
A felony is a category of crime more serious than misdemeanor and punishable by two or more years in a state or federal prison, or by death. Sometimes referred to as "high crime" felonies include crimes such as:
- Robbery, extortion and related offenses
- Arson and burning offenses
- Assaults and threats
- Drug offenses
- Larceny, possession of stolen goods, embezzlement, and related offenses
- Weapons offenses
- Sexual assaults
- Crimes against nature, incest, indecent exposure, and related offenses
- Kidnapping and related offenses
Felony Charges & Consequences
Depending on the specific charges filed against you, a conviction could result in incarceration, probation, parole and/or a permanent criminal record. If the felony is a sex crime, mandatory sex offender registration is generally required. If the felony is DWI-related, you face losing your driving privileges.
A felony conviction could also result in the loss of certain rights, such as the right to vote or possess firearms, or it could make it difficult to find future employment.
How an Attorney Can Help
If you are facing a felony charge, it is in your best interest to discuss your case with an experienced criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. A defense attorney may not be able to get the charges against you dropped, but in some cases it is possible to negotiate with prosecutors to have the charges reduced.
A skilled criminal defense attorney can also:
- Advise you throughout the legal process and ensure your rights are protected
- Devise the best possible legal defense
- Argue on your behalf should your case go to trial
- File an appeal, if necessary
Contact a Felony Attorney in Raleigh
Whether it's you or a loved one that is facing a felony charge in Wake County, you can benefit from the legal counsel of an experienced felony attorney in Raleigh. Contact Curtis R. High, Attorney at Law today to discuss your circumstances.