Raleigh, NC Criminal Law

The State of North Carolina currently has more than 400 criminal laws.  Criminal cases are heard in either Wake County District Court or Superior Court, depending upon the severity of the offense.

Typically, criminal offenses that are punishable by a prison sentence of one year or more are classified as felonies and are heard in Superior Court.  Some commonly charged felony offenses include assaults; theft offenses such as breaking and entering; drug offenses such sale or delivery of a controlled substance; sexual offenses such as rape, incest and indecent liberties; homicides; and white collar crimes such as fraud and embezzlement. Less severe criminal offenses classified as misdemeanors are heard in District Court. A person convicted of a misdemeanor offense could be sentenced to jail time depending upon their prior criminal record.

Criminal Penalties

Penalties for criminal offenses are determined by municipal, state or federal statutes, which take into consideration factors such as prior conviction status. Depending on the class of crime (misdemeanor or felony) and its severity, penalties for a criminal conviction may include:

  • Incarceration
  • Probation
  • Parole
  • Fines
  • A permanent criminal record

A criminal record can have extremely damaging effects for a person, making it difficult to obtain employment or gain entrance into college or professional licensing program.

Defendant’s Rights

Individuals who have been charged with a criminal offense have legally protected rights, including (but not limited to) the right to:

  • an attorney
  • be presumed innocent
  • remain silent during the arrest and interrogation
  • testify on one’s own behalf

An experienced criminal defense attorney is a defendant’s greatest ally.

Contact Curtis R. High, Attorney at Law

Raleigh criminal defense attorney Curtis R. High will work on your behalf at every step of the criminal law process to protect and defend your legal rights. If you or someone you love has been charged with a crime, contact Mr. High today to discuss your case and plan an appropriate course of action.